Basement Waterproofing Melbourne
Below ground tanking, retaining walls, foundations and basements require best practice waterproofing techniques – the consequences of membrane failure are costly & difficult to rectify.
- A correctly installed below ground tanking will permanently stop water ingress into below ground structures.
- Below ground leaks are expensive to rectify and also an extremely challenging job to remedy on the negative side.
- For commercial buildings, water leaks can ruin expensive equipment and disrupt business and finishes and furnishings damaged in the case of residential buildings.
- This adds up to lost money, wasted time, upset customers and sometimes expensive litigation.
- Leaking foundations can even ruin the building structure itself.
What is Below Ground Tanking?
The major waterproofing defence for below ground surfaces is "Tanking"
- Basement tanking is a traditional term used on older style homes which involves a "slurry" or lining on the basement walls.
- Waterproofing products today for externally applied basement membranes include traditional sheet, Torch-On and Liquid Polymer Coatings.
- Whatever WATERPROOFING PRODUCT is used, all external below ground membranes require adequate access to the foundation base, footings and external walls dat the construction stage.
- Keeping water drained away and preventing water from moving through walls is essential to a successful below ground waterproofing system.
Basement Waterproofing Products
Using Liquid Rubber Membranes for Below Ground Waterproofing
A one coat system saving you time and money, sealing and protecting from water damage
- Liquid Rubber has a thin, paint like consistency but dries to a seamless rubber membrane with excellent strength, elasticity and adhesion.
- Liquid Applied Membranes form a permanent water tight barrier which will not oxidise, craze, crack, loosen or scale over time.
- Liquid Rubber can withstand soil stresses and resists attack from alkalis, acids, salts and standing moisture.
- Cures into a continuous self-adhering seamless layer of rubber - providing a durable robust membrane.
- As a liquid, Liquid Rubber will can conform to any shape, flashing or protrusion-both vertical and horizontal.
Best Basement Waterproofing System
Of the various waterproofing products available
Findlay-Evans use Liquid Applied Membranes
Advantages of Liquid Applied Membranes for Basements Waterproofing
- Spray applied waterproofing creates a seamless membrane – no joins or seams to come apart .
- Liquid Membranes will bridge cracks, block work contours, and seal around all penetrations, holes etc.
- Liquid Rubber has crack spanning capabilities that is resistant to hydrostatic pressure.
- FLEXIBILITY with extreme expansion and contraction without cracking or becoming brittle.
- Can be applied to green (uncured) concrete walls immediately after formwork removed.
- Compatible with a wide range of drainage, protection, and insulation boards.
Basement Waterproofing Methods
Successful basement waterproofing is a combination of several factors: quality products, knowledge and understanding of problem areas, experience and careful application and most importantly from the builder’s point of view: GOOD SITE PREPARATION
- Basement tanking or waterproofing requires special care at the weak points of the below ground structure such as the wall to floor junction - this should be completely water tight.
- Water tends to pool at this "cove joint" and moisture may pond due to ingress from surrounding soil.
- It is critical that the waterproofing method used can withstand "ponding" or standing water.
- There are many membranes on the market that will break down over time with moisture sitting on the surface.
- Liquid Rubber can withstand "ponding" water - in fact Liquid Rubber can be used in swimming pools and water features. Ideal for below ground tanking.
Retaining Wall Waterproofing Systems
Below Ground Tanking - Getting It Right
Waterproofing is an area of construction that if it fails, it is very difficult and expensive to fix.
This is especially so with below ground tanking - it is imperative to get it right the first time.
Waterproofing Protection for Exterior Basement Wall
Arma-Blue Protection Sheet
- Protecting a basement waterproofing system from damage is one of the final line of defence.
- A very common problem we see all too often in the construction industry is the failure of waterproofers and builders not providing adequate protection for a newly installed and perfectly good membrane.
- A common cause of retaining wall membrane damage is allowing sharp material (such as gravel) to get behind and/or between the protection sheet/s such as the commonly used Core Flute sheet.
- Stones between the waterproofing membrane and protection sheet have the potential to puncture membrane.
- However with a bit of due diligence and care required these scenarios can be prevented or at least extensively minimised so a watertight basement / retaining wall is achieved.
- Protection sheet should always be used PRIOR to backfill.
- Protection waterproof barrier recommended is ARMA-BLUE COMMERCIAL.
- Arma-Blue is a superior means of protecting below ground membranes - tough flexible polymeric board with high strength and excellent puncture resistance.
- Due to its extreme strength; Arma-Blue has no equal in terms of performance .
- Cement Sheet as Protection - If the cement sheet is cracked or broken during aggressive backfilling this will in itself damage the membrane. Cement sheet also costs more and is difficult to handle.
- Standard drainage systems involving agriculture pipes, often combined with aggregate and geo-fabric.
DIY Waterproofing - Use Liquid Rubber
DIY Enthusiasts and Professional Tradesmen!
Safe for DIY Use - Environmentally Friendly - Easy & Cost Effective.
If you can paint you can waterproof !
Easily applied - Roll or Bush-On.DIY Paint On / Roll On or Trowel
DIY Waterproof Liquid Rubber
4 Litre Buckets approx. 3-4m2 @ 2 coats $120.00*
15 Litre Buckets approx. 10-12m2 @ 2 coats $350.00*
* Based on flat metal surfaces.
Other surfaces ie. old concrete is very porous and will require more product.
We suggest minimum 2 coats of Liquid Rubber to create the waterproof membrane.
Plus delivery if required