Balcony Waterproofing – Melbourne
Use Links Below For Quick Navigation
Balcony Waterproofing Membranes That Work
Why do balconies leak?
- Obviously waterproofing membrane failures are caused by a variety of reasons however recent projects have highlighted an interesting cause.
- Construction methods are always changing and adapting.
- We are seeing balcony substrates in high rise construction that are level or close to level.
- Balconies will require adequate fall in the substrate to allow the water to run off to an exit or drainage point/s.
- Many waterproofing membranes are not designed to “hold” water or sustain ponding water as it is better described.
- The waterproofing membrane which, given time and with thermal expansion / contraction - will cause break down or joint failure with subsequent balcony leaks.
I have been in the construction game for over 30 years, either as a Registered Building Practitioner myself & owner of Findlay & Evans Waterproofing.
I have recently noticed, either for reasons of design and/or cost considerations, subtle construction changes which have a direct impact on the success or otherwise of waterproofing membranes.
Many Balcony Floors Are Currently Being Constructed With Minimal Falls
Particularly Evidenced In Multi-Level Apartments.
Balcony Design Affects Waterproofing
- Balcony design has a significant effect on the choice of waterproofing product, the application of membranes and tile adhesives used.
- Correct selection of waterproof membrane is imperative with structures designed with minimal falls.p
- The membrane must be capable of “ponding water” and the application must proceed with meticulous preparation to ensure detailing is installed correctly.
- Unfortunately these issues are not always taken into consideration when contractors/specifiers/designers are considering waterproofing methodology for contempory balconies designed with minimal fall.
Best Waterproofing System For Balconies - Liquid Rubber
- Liquid Rubber is spray applied seamlessly onto concrete, steel, metal
- Flexible and elastic so can move with substrate.
- UV resistant so does not crack or degrade with UV light.
- Unlike most coatings, can be applied on damp surfaces
- Installation is quick and cost effective.
- Suitable for internal and external areas.
- A liquid waterproof coating is a tough,chemical and UV resistant membrane.